Transition Period.
I looked at my blog today, and realized I haven't posted anything in a while. That should be an indication of what life was like for the better of the year for me and my family.
For those of you who don't know, we are moving to Chicago to be closer to family for multiple reasons. We finalized the decision to move back around May, and the summer of prepping for the move seemed to suck away the remainder of our last summer in LA as a family. Helen did an amazing job of packing and getting things organized for the move, while still being an amazing and involved mother to Herc. She also continued to work at the same time, she's just incredible. The flew out of LA on Wednesday the 15th of August. I left the following day with our belongings, my Chevy on flat bed tow behind the truck, and two dogs in the cab with me for a cross country drive. I put in some serious time behind the wheel, and made it to St. Louis late Saturday night, just in time to give my mom a hug on her Birthday. I spent the next day with the family in the Lou, and left Monday morning for Chicago. Once I got to Chicago, I spent the rest of my time there trying to settle Helen and Herc in, and flew back to LA early last Thursday morning. The reason for the return to LaLa is to tie up loose ends, work for couple weeks, and drive our other car back to the midwest at the end of stay here. So, I am back in LA momentarily, and will leave her soon.
Leaving LA was hard, and saying good by to certain friends was harder. We have had no family out here, and have raised our son with little to no support. It was difficult, but the experience made us stronger. It solidified our priorities as a couple, parents, and as people. The friends that you think would be there, and be excited to visit our son, were not there. Those visits did not happen. People who we thought we could count on, we just counted out. I understand when people have children, their lives get hectic, and eeking out a little time is hard. Perhaps that was too hard for people to accept. On the other hand, the real friends, the good ones, the lifers, came by and kept up with us. While we were in the throws of the final days of moving, people wanted to see us. Great, but what we needed was a little help. The people who helped were ones we did not expect, I guess that's why life still surprises you. In the end, it was a couple guys from my job at the moving company, and one very dear friend who saw me off. How fitting, a reminder that it was time to go.
LA has a way of putting distance on people and between people. The distance they drive to work, the distance they live from you, and the distance of sunshine Melancholy. All that distance is hard to overcome, and you appreciate the time you have with people more, but, in the end it just isn't enough to make you feel like its home. Sunshine has a way of bleaching the loneliness and the struggles of living in this city out of your mind. I swear, if it wasn't for sunshine and weather, this city would lose a third of its population overnight. Those who live on the edge of sanity only aided by anti-depressants and a steady dependence on prescription pills, would be pushed over the edge if we had weather like Seattle.
So, I'm back here for a while before I bid my final adieu to this town. I plan to keep writing here to have an outlet for all of the emotions having it out in my stomach, my heart, and my head. One thing is for certain, I couldn't have done any of this, the move out, living and struggling here, and making the move back if it weren't for the support of my family. I have not, nor will ever take them for granted. I'm ready to be closer to them, so they can get to know my wife and son, and see why I love them so much. More to come.
For those of you who don't know, we are moving to Chicago to be closer to family for multiple reasons. We finalized the decision to move back around May, and the summer of prepping for the move seemed to suck away the remainder of our last summer in LA as a family. Helen did an amazing job of packing and getting things organized for the move, while still being an amazing and involved mother to Herc. She also continued to work at the same time, she's just incredible. The flew out of LA on Wednesday the 15th of August. I left the following day with our belongings, my Chevy on flat bed tow behind the truck, and two dogs in the cab with me for a cross country drive. I put in some serious time behind the wheel, and made it to St. Louis late Saturday night, just in time to give my mom a hug on her Birthday. I spent the next day with the family in the Lou, and left Monday morning for Chicago. Once I got to Chicago, I spent the rest of my time there trying to settle Helen and Herc in, and flew back to LA early last Thursday morning. The reason for the return to LaLa is to tie up loose ends, work for couple weeks, and drive our other car back to the midwest at the end of stay here. So, I am back in LA momentarily, and will leave her soon.
Leaving LA was hard, and saying good by to certain friends was harder. We have had no family out here, and have raised our son with little to no support. It was difficult, but the experience made us stronger. It solidified our priorities as a couple, parents, and as people. The friends that you think would be there, and be excited to visit our son, were not there. Those visits did not happen. People who we thought we could count on, we just counted out. I understand when people have children, their lives get hectic, and eeking out a little time is hard. Perhaps that was too hard for people to accept. On the other hand, the real friends, the good ones, the lifers, came by and kept up with us. While we were in the throws of the final days of moving, people wanted to see us. Great, but what we needed was a little help. The people who helped were ones we did not expect, I guess that's why life still surprises you. In the end, it was a couple guys from my job at the moving company, and one very dear friend who saw me off. How fitting, a reminder that it was time to go.
LA has a way of putting distance on people and between people. The distance they drive to work, the distance they live from you, and the distance of sunshine Melancholy. All that distance is hard to overcome, and you appreciate the time you have with people more, but, in the end it just isn't enough to make you feel like its home. Sunshine has a way of bleaching the loneliness and the struggles of living in this city out of your mind. I swear, if it wasn't for sunshine and weather, this city would lose a third of its population overnight. Those who live on the edge of sanity only aided by anti-depressants and a steady dependence on prescription pills, would be pushed over the edge if we had weather like Seattle.
So, I'm back here for a while before I bid my final adieu to this town. I plan to keep writing here to have an outlet for all of the emotions having it out in my stomach, my heart, and my head. One thing is for certain, I couldn't have done any of this, the move out, living and struggling here, and making the move back if it weren't for the support of my family. I have not, nor will ever take them for granted. I'm ready to be closer to them, so they can get to know my wife and son, and see why I love them so much. More to come.
0 comments:
Post a Comment