2014. When I pitched a Pilot at HBO/Cinemax, FX, Spike and all that other shit...



2014 has been one hell of a ride. How this year came to be, in all of its glories, could never have happened if I had chose a different path in life. At this point, I could have 10+ years at a job, an expensive hobby/addiction or two, and a life that would be not even close to this one. I sure as hell wouldn't have found myself in the lobby of HBO/CINEMAX, waiting to pitch  my show, of this I am certain.


In January of this year, I finally finished the pilot of a show I had been conceptualizing for years. Let me start out by saying I am not a huge NASCAR fan. In its modern form, it just doesn't intrigue me in the slightest.  It's origins, however, are completely captivating. I delved deeply into the world of it all, reading all that I could find of its rich history. There have been some films, and some horrible TV shows done about the topic, but they didn't convey the unbridled ingenuity, rebellion, and lawlessness of it all. I can go on, but I won't here. Getting in to it in this post would be too much, so I digress. The idea had sat with me for a long time, and I had started writing about it a while back.  Helen, my wife, and the most creative girl I know, told me to finish up the script and either move with it, or put it to bed. "Biggie, just finish it", she said.  I wrote the last couple of scenes, which put the button on it, and I though I was going to put it to bed, and all it did was invigorate me. I approached  someone in the business, and asked him if he wanted to partner with me on the idea. He did, and the ball started rolling.

To Be Conitnued

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Proud of you Gerbin! There is definately an untapped tallebt in you and have always felt that from day one! Best of luck my friend!

mark said...

.....Then what happened?

Post a Comment