Last Night

    Last night I went to an audition. It was for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. The play is going to be performed at Oakton Community College, not far from where I currently call home. My wife, Helen, had performed there in the past, and encouraged me to go. I auditioned because I wanted to audition, not necessarily because I wanted the role or like the material. Please, don't misinterpret that as anything but what it is. I just wanted to audition. I know people will think what they will, and that it might be misconstrued as being wasteful the directors time, but it wasn't, I made sure of it. I gave it as much as I would a producer call back for an HBO show.  I miss the process. I miss theatre. I wanted to feel it again.
      After High School, I went to Meramec Community College for two and half years. It was, and always will be one of the highlights of my life.  I found friends that I still am close to, even to this day. Including a  friend that cast me in my first feature film after seeing me at audition, and introduced me to a world that I never thought of, but always dreamed of being a part of. A friend that, to this day, I count as one of my closest.  The staff in the theater department was welcoming, varied, and all committed to what they were doing. Nothing on that campus, or at that time in my life, meant to me as much as that department did. I hope everyone can be as fortunate as I was to have my world view expanded and the knowledge of my craft deepened as much as I did during that time.  I earned three Irene Ryan nominations there, and am very proud of that. It sent things in motion and me on path that would take me to places I never thought I could imagine. In order to see how far I had come, I had to go back to where it all started for me.
      I checked in at the audition, and was asked if I had a head shot and resume. I brought one, not thinking they would ask, and handed it over. I completed my audition sheet, they stapled it to my head shot and resume, then  I picked up my sides. I got to work immediately. I broke it down, made notes, and set to doing the work for the cold read. I watched the other actors and actresses putting in their work, and just loved being there. I just sat back and smiled. This is where it all started for me. In the lobby of a community college, not unlike this, surrounded by people that love the stage.  For me, personally, I had to go back to where I started as a measure to how far I have come. I was auditioning again for a community theatre  This time I had SAG-AFTRA under my name on my resume. I had Network Shows and Film Studio names behind my credits. I try to keep myself in check. I know that during my tenure in LA, I didn't become a name. But, I booked. I did do it, and I allowed myself some time to feel proud of myself last night in that lobby. That moment was a welcome change to the cloud of self doubt and mild depression that I dealt with in LA. I had done it, and I reflected quietly as I sat there , confident in the 30 minutes worth of work I put into this audition.
          I was called in, and I have never been calmer at an audition. It was nice to feel that again. It had been a while since I felt that. Auditioing in LA is an experience unto itself. You are going against pros, people who feed themselves and their families off of their profession.  It hardens you, and makes you sharp and precise. It also forces you to make your choices fast, and teaches you to trust your gut. It was a great feeling walking around in that space before I started. The room was comfortable, and I felt comfortable in it. I could see the director going over my resume, and even though he had a good poker face, I could see an eyebrow raise when he ran down my credits. But, that didn't matter. I was just like everyone else there to audition. I gave it my all, truly, and felt great about it. The director was very complimentary, and thanked me for coming in. It felt great, I felt great.
        While we are here in the meantime, before our ultimate move back to LA, I will audition for anything I can, and hopefully, if time and work allows, take a role or three. My goal-Be in a Steppenwolf production before I leave. Not necccesarily mainstage, the Garage will do just fine. You have to have goals, you know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment