OIl Spill.

I had an oil spill myself this morning. I knocked a full glass bottle of olive oil onto the floor. As I stood there, thinking of causing damage to some inanimate object that had nothing to do with it, I got sad. The insurmountable challenge of cleaning up my kitchen floor, with a mixture of oil and glass shards, seemed insignificant to what is going on in the Gulf of Mexico. I have vacationed on the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico since I was a boy. I have swam and fished its waters with family and a couple of lucky friends for as long as my memory serves me. To think about what is happening to that water, the wildlife, and the people along the coastline is enough to make me sick, really. You want to know whats messed up? Ever since I needed a fishing license to fish on the beach in Destin, I bought one. I was raised in Missouri, where conservation is highly regarded, and a tradition passed down through generations of hunters and fisherman. All the years I fished on the beach in Destin, I was never checked by a Game Warden. I didn't buy the license out of fear, I bought that motherfucker out of respect. Respect for the men and women who work for conservation agenies that ensure our wildlife and resources shall endure for generations. BP is killing our wildlife, tourist industry, and the lively hood of many people when this economy is already in a recession. Before you drill at over 5000 feet, shouldn't there be some kind of contingency plan if something goes wrong? As I sit here thinking about it, I am actually starting to feel sick. I don't know what the answer is. I was hoping the people who drilled that hole in the first place might have a better idea how to fix it. I am going to start by boycotting all BP stations. I will no longer purchase gas from them, or there affiliates. Help me out people, lets start an email chain. WE HAVE THE CHEAPEST GAS OF ANY MAJOR NATION, AND WE CANT GO SPEND A LITTLE MORE FOR GAS FROM COMPANIES THAT ARE RESPONSIBLE? LETS BE RESPONSIBLE. BOYCOTT BP.

2 comments:

AMG said...

While I agree with you little brother, BP has hooks in many different aspects of our lives. Soda cans, paved roads and even motor oil for our cars. A boycott of their gas stations may seem like a good idea. However, many BP gas stations are franchises and it won't affect the big boys in corporate, just the Average Joe trying to make a living. BP is most certainly "The Man" and needs to learn a lesson. But it will take more than boycotting gas stations to do so.

Sister Re

Unknown said...

Excellent perspective John... You are so right.

Post a Comment